I get asked a lot how I stay in shape and what I do to live a healthy lifestyle. Honestly, I have to thank my parents for great genetics. But, I also have a passion for fitness, health, and wellness. I try to live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I eat clean, healthy meals, and the other 20% of the time I indulge. I love wine, pizza, and sweets! I am only human. Over the years, while working in the fitness industry and living both a healthy and at one point, unhealthy lifestyle, I have seen how my body reacts to certain variables. Yes, at one point I lived an unhealthy lifestyle! I worked in the fashion industry in NYC. I partied hard, worked late, stressed, didn’t exercise, and ate terrible. Luckily, I was young and bounced back from all of that! I don’t regret any of it though. I learned so much about myself and my body.
I came up with 8 things I do every day to stay healthy and enjoy my best life. If you are not doing these yet, try to start including them into your daily routine. I think you will see a difference in your body and mind!
- Sleep- Easier said that done right…especially if you’re a mom or a working mom! I’m up with my kids on average at least once a night if not more. The amount of sleep you get affects so much, including your weight! If you aren’t getting enough sleep at night, your hormone levels can be thrown off making it difficult to lose weight. So do your best to get plenty of sleep!
- Drink Water- Drink water as soon as you wake up and drink it throughout the entire day! Most people don’t drink enough water. Sometimes hunger can be mistaken for being dehydrated. So go ahead and get the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, and even more if you workout!
- Get Fresh Air- Fresh air is so important for your mind and body. Get outside and take a deep breath. Or take a walk around the block.
- Count Your Blessings- Stop focusing on what you don’t have, and be grateful for what you do have. Be present in the moment. As a mom, you discover that the days are long, but the years are short. Be thankful and grateful. Positive vibes people!
- Exercise- You don’t have to run a marathon or do hours of exercise every day. Even if you can only fit in 15-20 minutes of exercise or yoga a day. Just do it! Stop making excuses for yourself. Get moving!
- Eat Your Vegetables- Sorry for sounding like your mom, but seriously, eat your veggies! The greener the better! Not only are they low in calories, but they also contain a sh*t load of vitamins and nutrients your body needs.
- Eat Breakfast- We are all in such a huge rush in the morning that we sometimes forget to eat. I do it all the time! Then, after my workout, I’m starving and usually reach for something that isn’t so healthy. Planning and preparation are key. Keep foods that are easy to grab in the moring or prepare the night before. My go to is a banana and oatmeal or baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon!
- Enjoy your Meals- Enjoy each and every bite of the food your are eating. My husband is a fast eater and I sometimes find myself doing the same when I am eating with him. By the end of the meal, I am stuffed and not feeling so great. If you take the time to chew and enjoy your meals, chances are you won’t overeat or stuff yourself.
Now, go out and live your best life!