Anyone else indulge a bit too much the past few days? Ummm, guilty!! Thanksgiving feasts flowed into the weekend and the bad eating (and drinking) habits continued. Leftovers, sweets, and wine went on for days. And now I’m left feeling tired, sluggish, and bloated. This time of the year is really difficult to stay on track food wise. Between Thanksgiving and New Years, there are holiday parties, cookie swaps, family get togethers, and just plenty of reasons to over indulge in all the good stuff. And to be honest, it doesn’t really matter how much you are working out, it’s all still going to creep up on you.
So how do we enjoy the holiday season without the extra weight gain? Balance….it’s all about a healthy balance of our favorite indulgences and healthy choices. I tend to go by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I choose healthy, clean foods, I workout, and I stretch or do yoga. The other 20% of the time I drink wine, have a piece of birthday cake, and enjoy a bowl of pasta. It’s pretty straightforward, but how do we get back on track after a holiday party or night out with friends? I do a recovery detox!
I put together a great 24 hour recovery detox to get you back on track after an indulgent night out. I will be doing one today. For each meal, there are 2 choices, either a whole food/clean meal or a cleansing juice. I’m going with the juices today because that is what works best for my body.
- Alleviate water retention and bloating
- Boost metabolism
- Detoxify the liver
- Balance out blood sugar levels (so you don’t crave the carbs)
Try this water!
- Water (2 cups)
- Cucumber (use slices)
- Lemon (1/2 lemon)
- Ginger (1/4 inch fresh root)
- Drink 5-6 cups a day
POWER BOOST CEREAL
½ cup cooked quinoa (make sure to cook quinoa according to package directions ahead of time)
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ounce of sliced almonds
1 Tbsp. of flaxseed
Dried fruit (cranberries)
1 cup coconut milk
Mix the ingredients in a bowl. Add coconut
milk and cranberries if you wish.
*If you double the ingredients, cereal keeps for up to one week in an airtight glass jar in the fridge.
Morning Juice Cleanse
1 inch ginger
and juice it all up!
¼ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
1 medium beet, peeled and julienned (or chopped)
¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 cup spinach leaves
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Place almonds and pumpkin seeds on baking tray.
Bake for 3-5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine beets, cilantro and spinach. Add cooled nuts and seeds to mixture and stir in lemon juice and oil. Toss and serve.
OR A Green Juice of Your Choice!
LENTIL DELUXE SALAD
½ cup red lentils
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. turmeric
1 cup vegetable broth
¼ cup walnuts
¼ cup chopped basil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
In a medium-sized pot, add lentils, red pepper flakes, and turmeric with broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Top with walnuts and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup berries
dash of cinnamon
top with seeds/or goji berries
Chamomile tea or other decaf tea
apple slices with a scoop of almond butter (no peanut butter)